Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Learning How to Read!

Rafi has known his ABC's since before he was 2 years old. I even have a video that I recorded him, showing his proficiency at letter recognition at that very young age.
My mom keeps on asking me why now, at age 5, Rafi isn't reading. Shouldn't he be reading by now, especially if he's known his letters for a while already? Maybe our schooling needs to be more structured for us to have definite progress academically. She's not so thrilled with the idea of unschooling, to be honest...
I'll elaborate more on the difference between unschooling and regular homeschooling in another post, but a big aspect of unschooling is child led learning, learning at the pace that a child wants to learn, and not pushing him to learn something he is uninterested in.
Which is why we haven't really pushed the reading issue at all.
But when kids are ready for something, they pick it up in a snap. (Barring learning disabilities.)

Rafi has known the various sounds the letters make for a while already, but hasn't really been able to put them together to make words.
So I put it aside, and didn't push it. We did use letters, but in other aspects, not sounding out words. (A future post on that, as soon as I get a video uploaded...)
And if my mom and other people think he isn't progressing fast enough, that's fine with me.
My goal isn't to have a kid who learns things faster than everyone else. My goal is to have a kid who loves learning and loves life and loves Hashem.

But I knew that eventually, Rafi would want to learn how to read, and when he would want to, he'd be motivated on his own, and therefore pick it up much quicker.

That motivation happened now.

Rafi learned that his good friend, Avi, 9 months older than he, can now read everything, full books even.
And Rafi got jealous. Jealous that Avi could read but he couldn't. He asked me why Avi was able to but he wasn't able to.
"Avi practices reading" was my answer.
And Rafi decided he'd practice until he got it down.
Kinas sofrim, kind of. I'm totally cool with this type of jealousy, because its a constructive envy, nor a destructive jealousy.

I have this phonics book that I picked up from an American friend who was moving away.
It's terrific.
Perfect for the level Rafi is at.
And the best thing about it- both Rafi and Moishy (3) can work with me at the same time with it. So I just grab the opportunity when Chayaleh (1) is asleep to sit down with the boys.

The book has lick on stickers, which you're supposed to place in their corresponding places. I gave Moishy the job of sticking on the stickers, matching up the pictures and the directions, while I practiced reading with Rafi.


The book breaks down reading into various sounds. First it focuses on the "at" sound, providing lots of three letter words ending with the letter "at", and pictures, which might cause some "cheating" at first...



But then they have words that aren't as obvious from the picture what they are. And then words without a picture at all. And then a whole story written with the words that had been practiced.


In the past, I'd tried doing similar with him, having him sound out letters, but instead of actually sounding out, he'd just guess and play games, so I decided not to push the issue. When he was ready, we'd return to the topic. Only when he's motivated.

And now that he is, he's really putting his effort into learning how to read, even reading from the phonics book at 10 pm...

I made him this picture, with these words, and he was able to read it to his brother.


It was such a pleasure to see that he finally figured out the concept of sounding out words- he's so excited and pleased with himself.

Because once he was interested, it came in a snap.

And that's why I didn't push reading. I saw no need to try to get him to learn to read, against his will, so it would be a struggle and neither of us would be enjoying ourselves.
Instead, we took a long break, and when we finally came back to it, he's getting such pleasure from his accomplishments, to say nothing of my nachas. Forcing a kid to learn something when he's not ready for it or interested in it takes all the enjoyment out of learning, I think.

5 years, 3 months, and 2 days old. Reading. Awesome.
See Mommy- you didn't have to be worried! Even if I don't push learning doesn't mean he won't be learning. And he may even end up learning at a faster pace than he would have if I pushed.

How old were your kids when they learned how to read? Did you push them to learn, or did you teach them how to read when they showed an interest?

1 comment:

  1. My eldest started when he started school - 5y3m. My 2nd has taught himself to read without any guidance (he knew letters and was read to but worked it out himself). I would say he was about 4 1/2 and now at 5y (and a couple of weeks) he reads well, with comprehension and expression, and is at least as good as our eldest who has been at school for a year. He's probably not your average child though generally.

    ReplyDelete